Tuesday 25 June 2013

Richard Matheson dies.

Richard Matheson, author of (amongst others) I AM LEGEND, HELL HOUSE, THE SHRINKING MAN and WHAT DREAMS MAY COME has died at the age of 87.

A prolific writer, he provided stories and screenplays for the legendary TWILIGHT ZONE series.

His most famous work, I AM LEGEND was filmed thre times (the Last Man On Earth, The Omega Man and I Am Legend) and the film The Incredible Shrinking Man is one of the great 50s science fiction films.

He was also responsible for the short story that launched Steven Spielberg's film directing career (Duel).

Though not often quoted as one of the great science fiction writers in the way that Isaac Asimov or Arthur C Clarke might be, Matheson is a giant of the genre and certainly deserves every credit and plaudit that is sure to be heaped onto him in the wake of his death. His was always a name that made me feel that I was in for something with a bit of quality about it whether it was a book, film or TV show.