Wednesday 10 August 2011

To Infinity (and maybe that's far enough) New review posted

The website www.starsandaliens.com has reviewed To Infinity (and maybe that's far enough) - I'm having to use the full title now since the sequel now has the title of To Infinity (and maybe just a bit further). It's good with a slight reservation, and here it is:

"Concept/World
The worlds on which To Infinity (and maybe that’s far enough) is set are imaginative and entertaining.  I particularly liked the floating palaces of Bliss 3.

Story
The plot moves along at a good pace with lots of adventurous action.  I liked the unexpected changes of direction and the way the plot developed.  I was a little disappointed by the twist at the end.  Twists that reframe the whole situation can strain credibility, particularly when you’re deeply involved in the story.

Characters
Kaymer Haynes is an interesting character, a con man with a sense of humour.  I found him very engaging, with a sense that there was always a lot more going on than he was letting on.  Other characters are lightly but effectively drawn.  I loved the stroppy computer and the bonkers Dennis Crump.

Presentation
There is an error in the book description; “ever copy” instead of “every copy”. There are similar grammar/punctuation errors in the book (I noted 13), such as “Huge blocks of plas-wrapped cargo was floating free”.   If small errors of this kind irritate you when reading then you may find that detracts from your enjoyment of the story.

Overall           
I was intrigued by the title of this story and slightly puzzled by the end of the book because it wasn’t clear why it was called that other than as a jokey take on “To Infinity and beyond”.  I enjoyed the humour and adventure in the story, and I liked the characters, too.  The first couple of chapters are brilliant and it is a very entertaining read.  If it hadn’t been for the imperfect proofreading and the credibility-straining twist at the end, I would have given this 5*."